The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) is the central office that administers the application and offer process for places in tertiary courses at university, TAFE and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria (and a few outside Victoria).
VTAC receives and forwards application information and supporting documentation to the course selection authorities at institutions.
VTAC is not a selection authority, does not determine the selection criteria used by institutions and does not decide who will receive an offer. All decisions about which applicants are offered a place are made by the course selection authorities at institutions.
After selection decisions have been made by the course authorities at institutions, VTAC sends offer letters to successful applicants on the institutions’ behalf.
- calculates and issues the ATAR (previously known as the ENTER) for VCE students;
- co-ordinates sittings for STAT and DULSAT admissions tests;
- administers the application process for the Special Entry Access Scheme;
- administers the application process for some institutional Scholarships;
- provides telephone and online information and enquiry services for applicants;
- publishes a range of guides to tertiary study;
- conducts information sessions for secondary school students and their parents, careers teachers and adults returning to study.
VTAC is not a government body – it is funded by participating institutions and processing fees paid by applicants.